Rick Vasquez Firearms LLC
235 Deer Creek Road
Winchester VA 22602
Social Security Number:
Country of Citizenship: U.S.
Security Clearance: Top secret
October, 2014 – Present
Independent Firearms Consultant
- Provide services related to firearms identification and classification, as applied to the Gun Control Act and National Firearms Act, to the firearms industry and the private sector.
August, 2011 – September 2014
BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS and EXPLOSIVES (ATF)
Firearms Trafficking and Interdiction Branch, Firearms Operations Division
Program Manager/ Branch Chief Firearms Training Branch
- Developed programs and training on firearms trafficking and interdiction.
- Assisted Field Operations in identifying and instructing firearms trafficking trends.
- Assisted in updating and writing all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) of the National Firearms Act Branch (NFA).
- Developed specific training on 3D printing, partially complete receivers, and counterfeit firearms.
- Trained all Central American and Mexican federal law enforcement counterparts on U.S. firearms laws and regulations.
- Serve as the firearms expert for Field Operations on all firearms related subjects.
- Presented United States firearms regulations and trafficking trends to Interpol and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
- Developed and presented a course on importation guidelines and United States Firearms laws to the Australian Federal Police, Australian Crime Commission and Australian Customs.
June 1999 – August 2011
BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS and EXPLOSIVES (ATF)
Firearms Technology Branch
Assistant Branch Chief, Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch (FTB)
- Supervised and trained a staff of 14 personnel, including 8 Firearms Enforcement Officers, 1 Evidence Technician, 1 Writer-Editor, 1 Program Analyst, and 2 Gunsmiths. Organized the workload and performed all personnel functions of this office.
- Developed training in all aspects of firearms use and identification. Instrumental in developing and implementing training for law enforcement counterparts in several Federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.
- Served as the expert on all Gun Control Act (GCA) and National Firearms Act (NFA) identification and classifications.
- Wrote Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for all aspects of FTB operations. These SOPs have now been used to defend ATF policies in criminal and civil litigation.
- Served as a Firearms (shooting) Instructor.
- Instrumental in developing firearms identification training specifically for the “Southwest Border” program.
- Reviewed and corrected all reports prepared on evidence submitted by ATF special agents.
- Served as the expert on classification on items submitted by the firearms industry for classification under the GCA and the NFA.
- Served as the expert on firearms importation guidelines and reviewed all items submitted for approval for importation.
June 1996 – June 1999
DIPLOMATIC SECURITY SERVICE (DSS)
Firearms Instructor – November 1996 – June 1999
Conducted all manner of firearms training for DSS. Developed training syllabi for long-range rifle training, fire and maneuver tactics, submachine gun, handgun, and evacuation techniques under live fire.
- Certified the Mobile Security Division and the Tactical Response team as firearms instructors.
- Wrote training manuals and training syllabi to cover all aspects of firearms training.
- Developed and conducted training in force protection, IED detection, surveillance and counter terrorism.
- Instructed the force continuum policy to DSS Special Agents.
August 1974 – April 1996
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
Attained the rank of Master Sergeant and served in many key leadership positions.
August 1994 – April 1996
Detachment Commander – American Embassy, Moscow, Russia –
January 1993-August 1994
Detachment Commander – American Embassy, Kingston, Jamaica
January 1989- January 1993
Floor Chief – Weapons Training Battalion – Quantico, Virginia
- Instructed an armorer training course in Colombia, South America, in support of “Operation Snowcap.”
- Certified as a High Risk Personnel (firearm trainer) instructor.
January 1974 – January 1989
Recruiter –Winston Salem NC – and other various duty stations
Received the award as Non Commissioned Office in Charge of the Year and was
meritoriously promoted to Gunnery Sergeant.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND AWARDS
- Testified over 40 times in Federal and state court and certified as an expert witness
- Instructor for Interstate Nexus course
- Distinguished High Power Rifle Shooter
- Previous FFL Holder, successful business in custom rifle repair and sales
- Certified armorer for the following gun companies, Ruger, Glock, Smith and Wesson, and Heckler and Koch
- Received manufacturing and historical instruction at the following firearms sites; Marlin, Savage, H&R Inc., Winchester, Mossberg, Springfield Armory, Wilson Tools, Sig, Glock, Walther, Mauser, etc.
- Completed course of instruction in Principles of Acoustics and the Measurement of Sound
- Developed a course in recognition of silencers/silencer components and served as an expert in the classification of silencers and silencer components under federal statutes
- Wrote numerous training lesson plans in the use and identification of firearms related subjects
- Have trained official government personnel in firearms identification in the following countries: France, Canada, Colombia, El Salvador, Mexico, Canada, Belize, Jamaica, Curacao and Guatemala
- Conversant in all aspects of the NFA
- Knowledgeable in the requirements of importing firearms and firearms components
- Presented firearms regulations to the Guatemalan Supreme Court
- Received public service award from the United States Attorney in the 4th district
- Recipient of ATF’s Distinguished Service Medal
- Recipient of numerous letters of appreciation from ATF, FBI, and foreign law enforcement
Frederic M. Piry
Frederic M. Piry, MPA, (known by his callsign “Razor”) has over four decades of wide-ranging experience from the foxhole to the boardroom in the fields of law enforcement, security, and training. He is a known expert, providing testimony to the Congressional Oversight Committee on Counter-Terrorism & Security Issues, contributing to Fox News on terrorism and tactics, serving as guest speaker on various national security issues, and featured in the 2002 book “Relentless Pursuit: the DDS and the Manhunt for the Al-Qaeda Terrorists”.
As a U.S. Marine, he served as a corporal at the prestigious 8th & I Marine Barracks in Washington, D.C. After tours at the White House and United Nations, he began a career in foreign service where he served over 20 years with the Department of State’s Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) as a Counter Terrorism Special Agent. During his assignments, he served in the elite Mobile Security Deployment (MSD) as a Team Leader responding to high threats situations around the world including Operation Desert Storm. He served in over 120 countries as well as at the American Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon as the Regional Security Officer.
He served in numerous high-visibility roles. He was the Agent in Charge of the protective detail for former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, as well as responsible for the protection of the former Presidents Aristide and Préval of Haiti and former President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan. He was the lead Diplomatic Security investigator in the investigation of many high-profile international terrorist incidents including the World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef, the East African Embassy bombing, OPM/SANG bombing in Saudi Arabia, the Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia, the killing of U.S. Consulate employees in Pakistan, the hostage taking at the Japanese Ambassador’s residence in Peru and the killing of U.S. Embassy employees in Haiti, among many others. He was responsible for the capture of College Francois who killed the embassy employees in Haiti. After the terrorist attacks on 9/11, he spent many years in Afghanistan and Iraq setting up security at the embassies and the Presidential compound in Afghanistan for the protection of former President Karzai. He was responsible for setting up the Hight Threat Protection Division and was responsible for the Worldwide Protective Security Contract valued at $3 billion and overseeing thousands of contractors providing security at High Threat Embassies.
Upon entering the private sector, Mr. Piry held several senior leadership positions with organizations that provided security and training programs for the U.S. government and a Classified Agency. This included running the Global Anti-Terrorism Assistance Training and Overseas Building Operations programs.
He has been recognized with the highest civilian award, the Medal of Valor, by former Secretary of State James Baker III. He has received many other Superior Honor Awards to include a Letter of Appreciation from former FBI Director Louis Freeh for assisting in the capture and investigation of Ramzi Ahmed Yousef, an FBI Top Ten Fugitive.
Mr. Piry has a bachelor’s degree in Administration of Justice from Pennsylvania State University and a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree from West Chester University. Mr. Piry is a graduate of the Executive Development Program at University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton Business School. He is also a certified trainer for weapons/tactics, surveillance detection, hostage survival, and personal protective measures having trained thousands of U.S. government and military personnel.